Friday, June 26, 2009

A Faerie Tale V

They sat at opposite sides of the large red stone fireplace, chairs angled slightly towards each other, mainly towards the warmth of the flame. Each held a flagon of mead they sipped intermittently in the silence. One was a firmly built man now past his prime, wearing very fine clothes that had also passed theirs. The other looked old and tired, yet radiated with vitality. His long flowing white hair and beard stood in stark contrast to the deep black robe that covered him.

Finally the younger of the two could not take the silence any longer. “You never told me who his parents were. But I am no fool, wizard. I lived and fought by his father’s side for so long, he was my lord and my dearest friend. His son had grown entirely in his image. I understand why his identity had to be hidden, and feel blessed that I was able to perform this service for my lord, and raise his son. But I do not understand why you come now to take him. He is like a son to me now. I’ve raised him from an infant. My wife suckled him, sharing the milk that was meant for my own son. I have no desire to turn him over to you. Why? Tell me why now, why at all do you return here for him? I have always respected you, been in awe of your wisdom and abilities. But danger surrounds you, haunts your every step, why should I allow this?”

“You have no choice. He may be young, but by his age you had already sworn allegiance to his father, and fought your first battles. The decision is his. But really, he has no choice. He is needed, and he will respond to that need, because he is who he is. I had hoped not to be a part of his life, that he could grow into a man and claim his destiny without my interference. Yes, I take him into great danger, which my kill us both before long. But he is bound to this path. I will do all I can to protect him, Sir Ector, I swear. Let me speak with him, let him decide now for himself, but I assure you, he is bound to this path, he will come with me.”
“Perhaps, perhaps not. But you are correct; he is of an age to decide such things for himself. And though I raised him as my son, he is not. I cannot pretend to be able to command one such as him any longer. His lineage is beyond my station. I will awaken him, and send him to you. If he chooses to go, when must you leave?”

“Immediately. Too much has happened already.” As the aging knight rose to awaken his young charge, the old man halted him. “One more thing, Sir Ector. Honestly, how well does he work a blade?”

Sir Ector sighed and shook his head. There was only one reason for such a question. “Brilliantly,” he replied. “Like few others I have ever seen. Even so young, he would give his father in his prime a tough fight, if not win.”

............



Sir Ector was not mistaken when he said the boy had grown entirely in the image of his father. So many ghosts of the past flittered through his mind when he laid eyes upon him for the first time in seventeen years. The hair, the eyes, the nose the jaw line and chin, all his father’s. He walked like his father, stood proud and erect beside the old man’s chair in the same manner his father would stand. The boy was a bit more muscular, had a slightly fuller face, but in every other way looked every part his father’s son.

“Do you know who I am?”

“Yes, sir. Sir Ector told me your name. I have heard many stories of you.”

“Do you know why I am here?”

“No, sir. Sir Ector said you would explain.”

“Please, sit down. There are some things we must discuss, important decisions to make.” The young man sat himself down cross legged on the floor. “Please, I think we would both be more comfortable were you to take that chair there.”

“But that is Sir Ector’s seat, sir. He does not like others in it.”

“I assure you, he will not mind, this once.” Obviously reluctant, the youth moved to the will of his elder, and placed himself now in the open chair. Once settled, the old man asked, “Who are you, Arthur?”

“Who am I? I am the adopted son of Sir Ector, squire to his son, Kay.”

“No. No longer. The truth of who you are forbids it. You never knew your father, he died soon after your birth. But you know of him, as you know of me. The Pendragon.”

“Uther? Sorry, sir, but if you woke me so late in the night to make bad jokes, I think I shall return to bed.”

“This is no joke. Your mother was Lady Ingraine. She died giving birth to you. I was there in the room. It was not an accident, or a complication of labor. She was killed by one who sought to kill you, the seed of the Pendragon. I saved you, but was not strong enough to save her as well. Though I tried, I swear that to you. Your father was long since on a path of self destruction. His choices made his fate inevitable, though the end for him came much sooner than I had feared.

“I convinced the midwife that you did not survive. And I brought you here, to be raised by the kindest most honest man I knew of. To hide you. Your father’s enemies are your enemies, and if they find you, they will try to destroy you as they did him.”

“Then tell me, sir, why now? Why do you come to me now with this? Your eyes tell me you need something from me. What is it?”

“Honestly? I have friends that are in desperate need of help. An entire race of… people, who are on the verge of catastrophe, and about to enter a war they have little hope of winning as things stand now. There are things about you that you have yet to learn, that you may never learn, as your father did not. There is a good chance that you can help my friends in ways I cannot begin to explain to you now. As there is a good chance you may fail, and we both die.

“So I come to ask you to take this chance. To risk your life, our lives, for something greater than yourself. Whether you accept what I said about your father is not important, though I am certain that none of the stories you have heard of me claim that I am a liar. What is important is that there are those who are in need
of aide. Your aide. Will you help them?”

“Yes.” No hesitation. Not the slightest sign of fear or weakness in that reply. He had his father’s heart, to go along with his father’s looks and bearing. Would he prove to have his father’s weakness as well?

No comments:

Post a Comment